Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Who wrote this?

Anyone want to guess who penned this autobiographical statement?:

But the next day, at evening, being under many fears, I went to seek the Lord; and as I prayed, I cried, and my soul cried to him in these words, with strong cries: "O Lord, I beseech thee, show me that thou hast loved me with everlasting love" (Jer. 31:3). I had no sooner said it but, with sweetness, this returned upon me, as an echo or sounding again, "I have loved thee with an everlasting love." Now I went to bed at quiet; also, when I awaked the next morning, it was fresh upon my soul--and I believed it.
(Hint: It's not the fellow pictured.)

2 comments:

Bridges said...

Is it Bunyan. I know he was under "many fears" for a while as recorded in Grace Abounding. Just a guess.

Chris Ross said...

Stop the entries! Please, everyone: no more guesses. We have a winner!

Spot on, Mr Bridges. Taken from Sect. 190 of Grace Abounding to Chief of Sinners, by Mr John Bunyan, the progressing pilgrim himself.

I guess we'll let you stay in the Conventicle after all ...

Credits

Copyright © 2008 Kristoforos Media. This layout made by and copyright cmbs.