Saturday, May 12, 2007

John Donne

At the wonderful Christian Aid book sale (see Conferences etc), I bought a nice edition of some of John Donne's work. I studied Donne more than once, but have never owned any of his work before. He was not a Puritan, or approved by Puritans, but certainly a contemporary. Here are a couple of poems by him. This meditation was published in 1635:

Thou hast made me, and shall thy work decay?
Repair me now, for now mine end doth haste,
I run to death, and death meets me as fast,
And all my pleasures are like yesterday,
I dare not move my dim eyes any way,
Despair behind, and death before doth cast
Such terror, and my feeble flesh doth waste
By sin in it, which it towards hell doth weigh;
Only thou art above, and when towards thee
By thy leave I can look, I rise again;
But our old subtle foe so tempteth me,
That not one hour I can myself sustain;
Thy Grace may wing me to prevent his art,
And thou like adamant draw mine iron heart.

This one is number 6 of his Holy Sonnets, 'Resurrection':

Moist with one drop of thy blood, my dry soul
Shall (though she now be in extreme degree
Too stony hard, and yet too fleshly,) be
Freed by that drop, from being starved, hard, or foul,
And life, by this death abled, shall control
Death, whom thy death slew; nor shall to me
Fear of first or last death, bring misery,
If in thy little book my name thou enrol,
Flesh in that long sleep is not putrefied,
But made that there, of which, and for which 'twas;
Nor can by other means be glorified.
May then sin's sleep, and death's soon from me pass,
That wakes from both, I again risen may
Salute the last, and everlasting day.

No comments:

Credits

Copyright © 2008 Kristoforos Media. This layout made by and copyright cmbs.