Friday, September 28, 2007

Factual Friday

I know some of you are gearing up for his birthday celebration, but I thought I would remind the rest of you that Chinese philosopher, teacher, and political theorist Confucius was born on this day in 551 BC (I am not exactly sure how they are dating this one).

Lest you think I just knew this, I will tell you that I get an e-mail with these kind of facts every day. This, by the way, is also the day (in 48 BC) that Pompey the Great was beheaded in Egypt. So, that's something.

Anyway, here is a thought from Confucius at the end of what has been a frustrating week of study for me:

"He who learns but does not think, is lost! He who thinks but does not learn is in great danger".

I don't necessarily think we should take our cues from Confucius, but this one seemed to be a good one to end my week on.

Bringing it a little closer to home, I will end with an encouraging word from a Puritan. This thought helped to assuage the academic pressure I am feeling right now:
"Grace has the power to turn afflictions into mercies."

Jeremiah Burroughs in The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment (ht: Ligonier Ministries)

No comments:

Credits

Copyright © 2008 Kristoforos Media. This layout made by and copyright cmbs.